Patrick's blog has moved to www.patrickriecke.com

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Church Growth in a Cemetery




Was at this cemetery yesterday. It's near our house. I had to drop off our computer for service at one and had an appointment at two, so I had some dead time- pardon the pun.

I read another chapter in Simple Church while I was there.

The cemetery is a good place to think- to put the day in perspective. I don't know anyone who is buried in this cemetery, so I feel a little out of place there. There were two other cars that came through the medium sized graveyard... they knew someone there.

There are two spots where people have obviously been laid to rest recently. The head stones have not yet been placed.

Creepy.

Why creepy? Why am I not comfortable enough with the realest reality we know to not get the willies when I come face-to-grave with it?

I went through this same cemetery a few months back when we were first thinking about doing this new ministry.

It clarified.

I want to do something that will matter after I am dead and gone. I am trying to do that with my family, and yearn to do that in everything.

I want to help people come into a meaningful connection with the God who loves them more than they will ever know. There were people who helped me come to that, and I want to keep helping others do the same thing.

One day striving will be over. Programs will end. Busyness will cease. And what will remain?

Only one life, then it's past. Only what's done for Christ will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment