Patrick's blog has moved to www.patrickriecke.com

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Crossway Church


At 5:45 this morning I left the house. I pulled up in front of a friend's place. He pastors a church plant in Independence, KY. His neighbor drives the truck. Yeah, the truck.

The truck that picks up and hauls one of the trailors they use to set up their stuff for service every Sunday morning. Yes, one of their trailers. They haul two each week.

So, we got the place where they store the trailers it was snowy and cold. That presented some interesting issues. Frozen pad locks, slick hills, iced trucks.

But we still got both of them to the high school they rent by 7:00 am. We unloaded all the goods for the main worship area, children's area and hospitality center.

It was all set up by about 8:00 in the main room, about 9:00 in the children's area. I got to help a lot.

It was at about 8:00 am, when I was using a lighter trying to defrost some padlocks that things started to get real.

Without getting into all the wonderful (and gritty details) I will highlight the three main things I learned today:





  1. Kids can help. There were kids everywhere (young kids) helping with everything from setting up tents, projectors, fences and playpens in the children's area to coffee supplies and communion in the adult areas.

  2. Things you move every week wear out fast. You've heard the phrase "7 moves equals a housefire"? Yeah, similar with a portable church. Only thing- you move seven times in just seven weeks. My takeaway- get a great trailer, get organized, and get high quality storage items.

  3. "It's a lot of work, but it's also very gratifying." This comment, or something similar, seems to be the most repeated comment I hear from people who are involved in this kind of thing. They understand the work load, but they also see that it makes a unique impact in people's lives. Strap in, it's going to be a fun ride!
Thank you Crossway, for letting me come with you today.
P.S.- One other takeaway. I drove past the church we have been a part of while we have lived here on my way to my firend's house at 5:45- uh, no one was there yet. My guess is it's because there aren't any trailers to haul there.

No comments:

Post a Comment