Patrick's blog has moved to www.patrickriecke.com

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What are Sundays for?

You know, this seems to be a big question. As I have talked with people who are in ministry, they seem to disagree with me more on this point than on any other.

At TPC, Sundays will be focused on people who are new to the faith or still figuring out the whole Jesus/God/Church thing.

In good 'ol Rick Warren talk, we will be doing "evangelism" on Sundays and not "discipleship". In other words, I will be talking to people who aren't big time church people, or people who are still trying to make sense of it all.

So, a lot of people have said that they disagree with this approach. They have said "Sunday mornings are for the believers." They aren't wrong. It's a matter of opinion, in my opinion.

However, I have a question.

If Sunday mornings are for the church people, what is for the not-church people?

I'm just asking.

Are your small groups and Bible studies for people who haven't crossed the line of faith?

Are your classes for people who don't believe in Jesus?

Are your ministry teams for 'non-Christians'?

A friend and I were talking about this tonight. I told him what people often say to me- that Sunday morning is for believers- and I just asked, "Then what is for everyone else?"

Most of the time the answer is "Nothing".


That stinks like a cesspool of inside jokes in a room full of people desperate for a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment