Patrick's blog has moved to www.patrickriecke.com

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Adoption

As I sat in Catholic Mass this past Sunday, the reading from the letters came from Ephesians 1:5. It says that we were chosen by God to be adopted as his children through Jesus Christ.

Ironically, I was sitting right next to my precious baby niece who was adopted about a year ago. And right down the pew was my beautiful (almost) teenage niece who has been a huge joy in our family since she was adopted several years ago.

It made tears well up in my eyes.

After mass, while I was holding the little one at breakfast, I was whispering in her ear, "Uncle Patrick loves you, Uncle Patrick loves you."

Then she leaned back and said in her toddler way, "Wub you!" (and Uncle Patrick's heart melts)

Yeah, that's what it's like spiritually. We get to be held close by not just an uncle, but, also like my niece, by an adoring father. And our heavenly father can't help but whisper "God loves you, yes he does!"

Aren't you glad you have been adopted as sons and daughters by God?

Don't you hope more people will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment