Patrick's blog has moved to www.patrickriecke.com

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Meeting New Brothers

So, how did I end up in the gracious home of a pastor who has planted a church in inner city Cincinnati yesterday?

It’s all about the Kingdom of God, baby.

You see, it went like this…

Years ago (I won’t say how many) my sisters were in school with a man who now lives in Cincinnati. He is working at this church in the inner city working with some kids who have it pretty tough- just go ahead and picture all the things the words ‘inner city’ brings up in your mind.

I never met him (except one time when I was about 5 years old). Until one of my wonderful sisters (I have quite a lot of wonderful sisters) wrote me and told me he was in the area.

So, naturally, I found him on facebook.

We finally connected yesterday and went out for lunch. As we talked about church planting and ministry and the ups and downs, it was like talking with someone I had known for a long time.

Afterwards, we went over to the man’s house who is the pastor of the church where he volunteers. As we entered Pat’s house (yeah, his name is Patrick, by the way), we were welcomed warmly. He’s got three crazy boys (just like me). He’s got his masters and wants to do his doctorate someday (again, two Patricks alike). And when I asked Pat and Galen both what the highs and lows were of their ministry, they answered the same.

People.

This deal is all about people.

You live with them, you laugh with them, you cry with them, you pray with them, you teach them, you do their weddings and funerals.

We are so ready to get back into the swing like this.

I don’t mean to belittle anything that happens within the traditional church. After all, it’s where I came to know Jesus and where I served for nearly a decade. But there needs to be a subtle change. Wise senior ministers are making those changes. I’m happy to see some of those changes at my home church. The traditional church emphasizes church attendance, programs and the offering totals.

God emphasizes love, relationships and service.

The two emphases are not mutually exclusive, but I believe it is time in the US for a revamping, a retooling, of how we ‘do church’.

“What kind of effect has doing this sort of ministry had on your boys?” I asked Pat.

“It’s been great.” He said, “They’re growing up thinking that this is what church is all about- the people and the relationships. It’s not about coming in, sitting down and being quiet in a pew for 60 minutes.”

And to my new brother, I say amen.

You?

No comments:

Post a Comment