Patrick's blog has moved to www.patrickriecke.com

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Life, Death, and Easter Egg Hunts

Life is very busy... like it is for you. Why you took time to read this blog is beyond me. Kristen has been gone for the past few days due to a family tragedy (see Death below). So, my goals with my studies have been somewhat stalled. I have been like a single dad with three boys. In part it has been great, just spending time with them and doing a lot around the house. But, it has been busy.

Death hursts like hell. Kristen has been gone because her sister lost a baby at 23 week in utero. Terrible. Painful. Lots of other words that could be written, but I don't want you to 'flag' my blog. Without going into the details, you will just understand that this experience with death has likely been similar to what you have experienced with death. God is good, times are bad, repeat.

The neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt was this afternoon. Kristen got back in town with the baby about five minutes before it started. After much preparation by the organizers (picture a field filled with hundreds if not thousands of colored plastic eggs), they got the kids together. "3 and under on the left side of the sidewalk." With that, the three and under crowd started slowly making their way out. However, some older kids thought that meant it was time for everyone to go. And once 3 or 4 went, it was like a crack in the dam. Suddenly, there was a flood of kids running to the eggs.

Now picture this. I had left the older two behind while my child who qualified for the 3 and under age group needed a little encouragement. So, when the flood of older kids started rushing down, my two were at the back of the pack. I told them to wait until I said it was time to go for it. I anticipated they would take their cue from the mob and start running.

But they didn't.

I look back about 20 yards and see the 5 year old in the Colts hoodie and the big boy in his stripped 'nice' shirt looking for their daddy's face (rather calmly).

I finally locked eyes with the big boy. "Daniel, go for it!" I said. And they did.

What's the point of this string of Life, Death and Easter Egg Hunts?

Life is busy, death sucks, don't follow the crowd.

Jesus has called us to be different. He has called us to be lights in a dark world. Let's not get so caught up in the daily crush to get more that we forget to look for our daddy's face.

One day, I will be a dead child coming to life in the arms of my loving Father. At that point, the pursuit of plastic eggs won't mean much.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thoughtful. Touching. Just like YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of this precious life. Is there anything that I can do? Please let me know and I am praying for all of you.

    Love you,
    Sarah Rader

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a message for Sunday morning...hang onto that one! Love it!

    ReplyDelete