Patrick's blog has moved to www.patrickriecke.com

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Under the category of things that piss me off

So, I am in Cincinnati last week right? And it was a great time. I got to meet a couple great new people, hang out with some good friends, spend a ton of hours studying and in class.

I turned in my key to grad room, surrendered my study carrel and turned in the last of my library books. In addition, I attended my last class while I was there.

On Thursday night I went out to a restaurant in downtown Cinci. It was kinda nice, but not like super fancy. I would rate it at about the Applebee's level or just a shade above.

My friend Ed paid for my dinner and all I contributed was $4 towards the tip.

As we got ready to leave, I stopped at the bathroom.

There was a guy in the bathroom. Like an employee.

He was handing out paper towels to the guests using the bathroom.

His job is to stand in the bathroom all day and hope someone puts money in his tip jar.

"How are you doing sir?" He asked.

"Fine, how are you doing?" I say, looking nothing like a 'sir' in my torn jeans, hoodie and ball cap.

"Just fine, sir." He says with a forced happiness and smile.

"How's your day been?" I ask, though I know it's a stupid question- he's been in a bathroom all day.

"Just fine sir, trying to stay positive."

As I walked out into the brisk night air I just felt wrong. Because I have a buddy who paid $10 for me to have a Philly Cheesesteak and Onion Straws, I have the priviledge of using a human towel dispenser.

*Looking down at his mid-nineties brightly colored bracelet* What would Jesus have done?

That young man, whatever his name, is worth just as much in God's eyes as I am. God created him, has watched him grow from babyhood to boyhood to adulthood. When Jesus stretched out his arms on the Cross, he had bathroom guy in mind.

And yet, he is my paper towel dispenser for 20 seconds.

I was "better than him" for a few seconds. He had to call me sir even though he was wearing a tux and I was wearing a hoodie.

Something ain't right.

I can't get away from the feeling that Jesus loves the drive thru person at McDonald's.

I can't get away from the feeling that he died for the people I met at InAsMuch ministry downtown.

Something tells me he values all people everywhere equally despite age, gender, culture, color or political position.

I echo the sentiments of my academic advisor. Tom is not a dogmatic person- one of hte least dogmatic Christian leaders I have ever met. He had his PhD when he was 27 and is an accomplished author and editor the world over on the Gospel of John.

He said one day in class, "There is no way I would be caught dead letting a black man shine my shoes at an airport when I travel." Tom knows that Jesus loves the shoe shiner in the same way he loves him as a PhD professor of New Testament.

Until the Church gets this- valuing all people equally- Jesus is set against it.

Triple Pointe will not discriminate- in any way- ever. We will not cloak ourselves in the tradition of a movement to hold people down. We won't value the almight dollar so much that we are ok with victimizing others.

Following Jesus must mean serving the world. Not the world serving us. Following Jesus means following him to the basin and apron the night before we follow him to the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment